wandering the states with no money, no one for company, just a lens and hopefully some beautiful memories

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2 June : My Last Day.

The impending heat of summer and the sweat that builds up with every day that passes is a sign that it’s time for my adventure to end and for me to head back home. albeit very reluctantly. it’s been a month and i’ve made no secret of my longing to have some familliar routine in my life again. i mean, all this constant moving around is some kind of constant, but you know what i mean.

so i had the pleasure of watching a helicopter land on the south lawn of the white house today. that was pretty cool.. not something you see everyday.

DC-5

Copter over the Washington Monument, Washington DC.

Today I saw a few memorials that will forever shape my political thinking. I’ve been thinking alot about how my country is run while in the states, and while I disagree with much, it’s not like im wholeheartedly embracing someone else’s ideology, either. I will probably write a long essay this summer. I might even become politically active. Never say Never. It’s been awhile since i felt conviction about things. and today 2 have dawned on me.

1) If war breaks out, I will quit school to be a war photographer. at least, in a place where tons of asians are fighting, so i can at least blend in.

2) I want to write about my thoughts about the PAP. lol. i probably will not publicise those articles, for obvious reasons. but still, im sure that i can come up with something rational and argumentative rather than some of the crazy nonsense the opposition routinely puts up.

DC-6

The Lincoln Memorial, Washington DC. Determined, Gentle, Weathered. The sculptors did a great job..

Most of the world embraces Democracy as a fundamental truth. Few know it as the pragmatic consequence of the rejection of monarchy in the 18th century by the american colonies. While power to the people is undoubtedly the best and most enduring form of governance, America seems to think that the whole world “deserves” to live the life they have earned. This moral high ground is obvious from excerpts, from records, from just about anything. Taken in this context the actions of this nation become alot more justified and acceptable.

Just one thing, sir. Not everyone thinks as you do.

It is such an exciting revelation to be able to understand things “from the inside”. being able to see both sides really puts things into perspective.

my journey into america has finally come to an end. i’ve learnt, laughed, lived, lost, and loved. it’s been a hell of a ride, and i go home with a mix of happiness and sadness.

it’s finally time for me to bid all a fond goodbye.

DC-7

Washington Monument, Washington DC.

I’ll post a final post tmr..

No comments:

Post a Comment